my tree fell over

I happily waved his Nibs off to work.  It was dark outside probably about 6.50 am.  The wind was blowing, and the cats really weren't impressed that I had shoved them out the back door.  I went back in to make some tea and read the news on tinterwebs, when the phone rang. It was his nibs calling , he had only been gone for 20 mins or so but he phoned to tell me the wind was really gusting and for me to drive carefully and make sure no branches fell. I know it is i said to him,'' its howling down the chimney''.   Wheres the little uns he asked me ( pussy cats)  .  Outside i replied.  Then he made me feel guilty about keeping them out in the howling wind.

I hung up the phone, still in my dressing gown I picked u p a torch and went outside.  Stood underneath the rear porch waving the torch around I began calling for them.  It was really blowing at this time.  There are 3 big trees behind us, probably about 200 yards away. and behind a derelict barn.  The wind  began gusting ferociously, huge big blasts coming from the south west.  I called the cats by name and whistled, I could hardly hear myself but one by one they came tearing along the terrace and through the back door. Their little  wet paws skidding on the flagstone floors in the hall and kitchen and arriving in a hungry cold windswept furry mass in front of the kitchen sink. .

I stayed outside for a few minutes listening to the wind, and watching the big trees wondering if any branches would break off.  The barn roof is in a really bad state and its big apex beams have begun to collapse and the end of the roof has caved in, leaving a huge open end with slates hanging on for dear life.  i shone the torch around a bit and then i heard a noise, so i aimed the torch towards the barn thinking another part of the roof had given way and expecting to find some slates on the road, but it looked OK. I couldn't see any further damage, so i went back indoors.

After breakfasting, feeding starving cats showering, watching breakfast news and  having several cups of tea i settled down at my desk to begin working.   After about half an hour there was a loud knock on the back door which made me jump.  It was my neighbor the farmer from along the lane.

 Morning he said, You looked out of your bedroom window this morning?   err No. i replied.   I had actually glanced out the side window  to check my big oak tree was still OK and the large wavering branches were still attached .  come with me he said.   i put my wellies on and a warm coat and followed him up onto the lane.  Notice anything ?  he asked me.  Err nope i replied, as we walked along the lane.  I was looking up at the big oak tree, it looked fine to me.   What should i be looking at i inquired?     we walked a few paces more..me still craning my neck to inspect the oak tree..  No he said.. look further down the lane.  can you see more sky than usual??

My face dropped and my pace quickened.  ohhhhh nooo i cried.  ( but a little more expletive than ohh noo, as you can imagine)    i couldn't believe what i was seeing or rather what i wasn't seeing...
At the end of our garden on the edge of the Ha Ha and next to the pillared gateway is a huge magnificent hundreds of years old beech tree.. HOWEVER..it was no longer standing proud as it had done for a over a century... it was uprooted and laying in the field !



Comments

Popular Posts