I Found Treasure !!

The weekend weather wasn't as bad as anticipated.  I did actually see a blue sky and the weird yellow sphere that seems to have been dormant since we arrived here at Lanoy made an appearance..ie The SUN ! 

We did lots of bits and pieces this weekend, including taking a load of rubbish to the tip and trying to have a tidy up.   Ive given up with house work... There is absolutely no reason to do anything here !  I have lived in the same jeans and jumper all weekend.. The Stanley has cooked the food. Whilst hes running and keeping the house warm, his top plates and oven remain constantly hot. So there is no reason for me to switch on the electric cooker when I can cook for free basically using the Stanley. I did some washing which was hung on driers in front of Stanley.  Mums duvet dried nicely in front of Stanley , albeit amongst a building site. Ive given up with shoes..apart from when I go to work, I live in Crocs which can be easily slipped on and off and Wellingtons for paddling down the lane and garden  ...

What we did do was Jet Wash the lane side of the house



What a difference this has made !!  . Stevie had great fun with his new toy..his superdooper turbo petrol jet washer.   We are still deciding what colour to paint the exterior. I brought about 8 different swatch cards home..all varying shades of cream, biscuit and stone... but we still cant decide.  Shes always been white, so perhaps that's what she should remain as.  Not brilliant white but just off white.


Also...yet more scaffolding has been erected to the front. Stevie and his mate spent Saturday morning out in the cold sunshine doing this:


I stayed in the house and resumed my painting in the gun room.  This time on the safe, rubbing it down cleaning it with white spirit and painting the front with matt black metal paint and brasso-ing   the big brass handle and the brass makers stamp logo on the front .  We have a large safe built into the wall, presumably for the ammunition for the guns..or for the jewels that the lady of the house used to wear.  The door was rather rusty, and the lock really stiff. but with some WD40 we managed to get it open...and I excitedly looked inside..It was empty.  Of course I knew it would be empty ...but a little bit of me was hoping that something had been left behind,  I peered in and felt around, but there was nothing there. At the bottom there are 2 drawers, again they were rusty and made a scraping noise as I pulled them out.  Just as I took out the left hand drawer, something rattled and fell out onto the brick floor of the gun room... TREASURE .. I had found treasure after all !! I picked up a small round and very black coin. I gave it a rub with my cloth and saw it was a halfpenny dated 1886..I dashed out to the garden excitedly to show Stevie. He wasn't as impressed as i was....

xxx
Jo




Comments

Popular Posts