Restoration of the Fascias

Today the roofers removed the big carved fascias from the large apex at the front of the house. "They're rotten" they told me.  " You will have to scrap them.... We can put plastic fascias up to replace them "

 Ohhh No..fellas !!   No Way  is that going to happen!    They are an intrinsic design of the front face of the house.  They have been there hundreds of years. There is absolutely no way I am scrapping them.  It would be a crime to do that.   

So my mission is to restore them.  Each one is 5 meters long. I have to dry them, clean them, treat them for woodworm and rot,  prime them , undercoat them and then apply top coat.  Then we have to design and make a new center finial which will join the 2 half's together

This is what they currently look like :

5 meter long carved fascias

I will make a start on them this weekend.  I have already done one of the smaller fascias.  That was my test piece to see if I could restore them nicely.  Stevie came home tonight and was was thrilled with how they looked.  Ive done a good job on them ( if I say so myself)   Just take your time, persistence  and patience, and its amazing what you can achieve  

xxx
Jo

Comments

Popular Posts